Tuesday, December 1, 2015

2016 Elections



I am running for the Alpine School District Board in District 4.   I care a lot about education in the district and want to make a difference for our children.


  1. Small Class Size: I have 9 children, 2 of which are currently attending school in Alpine School District.  I recognize the importance of small classes, particularly in early grades.
  2. Advanced Learning: Several of my children have participated in Advanced Learning Laboratory (ALL) classes and have had terrific teachers that inspired them to learn.  It is important to fund programs for advanced students as well as those who need supplementary instruction.  
  3. Efficient Math: Mathematics education should be engaging and rigorous.  My 6th grader reminds me that students need to be fluent in math facts if they are going to be successful in algebra and geometry.  I am a strong advocate of encouraging children to pursue careers in math, science and engineering.
  4. Parental Involvement: While serving on a High School community council, I realized the impact that parents can have as they participate in PTA, community councils and volunteer in our schools.  I will provide increased opportunities for parents to participate in their children's education.  My 9th grader reminds me that a big part of an education is learning to get along with other people.  I am a strong supporter of sports, clubs and other cultural aspects of the educational system.
  5. Experience: I have 7 children who have graduated from Alpine District and pursued university studies.  As I see their experiences I am more committed to helping all students to be college ready when they graduate from high school.  My background as a professor of Computer Science at BYU has given me insights into what students need to learn in K-12 to be college ready.  My experience on the school board has given me the opportunity to understand the issues that need to be addressed.
  6. Fiscal Responsibility: Raising a large family has taught me the value of being careful with finances.  I am an advocate for smaller government and reduced taxes and I think that this applies to our public schools as well as the federal government.  As I have looked at the budget for Alpine School District, I have been impressed with the stewardship our administrators feel in being fiscally responsible and in delivering the best education for our tax dollars.  I will work to increase the quality of our education while keeping costs to a minimum.
I appreciate your support and would like to hear your views on issues associated with Alpine school district.  Please email me, or contact me at 801-310-0967.

I look forward to working with you to help our students become their best through quality public education.

Dr. Mark Clement

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide feedback for me on ways to improve public schools